Hi there! Welcome to my site. My name is Doug and I’ve been writing on this site (or it’s predecessor, sp.ookee.com) for something like 10 years, though the really old stuff is buried and gone. In that time I’ve written a LOT, some of it good and some of it not so much, covering a staggering range of topics. I recommend you pop open the Categories link in the top row and pick one you might be interested in to start with. As opposed to most other sites out there that are single-topic, I think it’s my diversity of writing that makes things interesting. I’m not keen on long autobiographies so here’s some highlights:
- I was born quite a while ago in a military family (Air Force).
- Places I’ve lived: Ohio, Las Vegas, Boston, Austin, Utah, Seoul, Ohio University, Prague, DC and San Francisco.
- I studied Film, Music and Audio Engineering at Ohio University in Athens. I’m not working in any of those fields.
- I’ve traveled a lot more than I think but have never been south of the equator.
- I used to surf more often, still snowboard and wish I had time to ride my motorcycle more often.
- I met my wife, Rosa, here in San Francisco. She is Catalan. She’s a scientist.
- I currently work for VIZ Media in the IT department.
- So far as I know I’m the only Doug Nerad in the world, so if you think I’m that one, chances are I am.
Below are previous versions of this About page, purely for amusement.
Who knows what to expect in an About page? You know you’re looking for juicy gossip about someone interesting and important. Take my word for it that I’m important and interesting. Or not.
You want to know all about the guy who wrote these random article and entries on this blog? Here’s what the critics say.
“A total idiot.” – Idiot of the Day
“He’s not funny at all. I’ve never seen someone so funny-less.” – Critics of Funny in America
“What’s this guy on about? I’m so confused.” – The ADD Blogger
“Light the candle, kick back with a glass of red wine, and get totally stoned because that’s the only way you’ll get through your day. Oh, this blog sucks.” – Grumpy Old Man Blog
“It’s, like, you know, totally cool that, well, uh, he’s writing about stuff and, you know, that’s cool.” – Teenage Angst
“Meow! I’d let this man pet my wet nap any day of the week except Tuesday.” – Smicha (Editor’s note: we still don’t know who the hell this is)
Yep, you’ve found a winner! Come back real soon now, hear?
25 Responses to “About Douglas”
- Melanie says (June 29th, 2006 at 05:00:34 )
My name is Melanie Nashan and I am a photographer. I am updating my website and want to include a blog page on it. I have the design of the page and my I have set everything up on the server end but I DESPERATELY need someone to create my blog page for me. Is this something I could hire you to do , or do you know someone that would be able to do this for me. I know, or at least I think I know what features I would like on the page but am unable to make my brain make any sence of how to create the page. Here is a link to the basic design of the page. The other thing is that I would like to get it done as soon as possible. Can you help me??????
- Shorty says (July 28th, 2006 at 12:00:14 )
Dearest brother… I think that you are a most interesting person! Who else could have built a site like yours, that of course would be impossible, since that would mean someone else would have to be in your mind, every cob webbed corner of it! *SMILE* I miss you and all your quirkyness and I can’t wait to see you!
- Shorty says (July 30th, 2006 at 17:04:18 )
- Shorty says (July 30th, 2006 at 17:07:17 )
Okay Doug, These are some of the places I would like togo to! Kansaman’s and House of Nanking to eat if we get the chance. To visit I would like to goto Aoemba Records-Haight Ashbury if possible and to The Cliff House to see the roman baths definitly! Start Planning! Cna’t wait to see you!
- val says (September 18th, 2006 at 09:45:54 )
Hi. Erin warned me about you. Hope to meet you soon.
- cole nerad says (November 2nd, 2006 at 11:17:18 )
hi my names cole nerad im 12 years old im looking up my fmily tree and well you are a nerad so if you read this call me at [phone number redacted as Cole is a minor. -doug.]
- Shava Nerad says (November 2nd, 2006 at 18:25:52 )
Well, he’s my nephew, but does he ever call? Does he write? No, he just picks up my lapsed domains. Oy!
Hey, Doug! I’ll be coming to SF sometime to visit EFF (see URL for my current gig since May) so maybe I’ll come annoy you.
- Wade Racine says (January 18th, 2007 at 19:47:53 )
How goes? I see you got rid of the spookee name and changed things around a bit. I’m still living in D.C., though life is much better these days, professional career and all that. Drop me a line sometime.
- Carol Mock says (April 27th, 2007 at 05:07:27 )
Try Potassium Phosphate for your sleeplessness. You can get it at your “natural foods” store or “health foods” stores. It’s a homeopathic remedy called Kali Phos., and I would use the 6X strength. Just put four under your tongue and let them melt (it is pretty fast) and usually that let’s me fall asleep, every once in a while I need to take four more fifteen minutes later.Hope this helps…I love you!
- Synnove says (May 14th, 2007 at 04:32:53 )
Great pics!!! It’s great to reconnect!
- Shorty says (May 16th, 2007 at 18:02:48 )
Well I am at y first night, but it is also the first night that I have checked out your website in awhile! It looks great! I really miss you! I checked out the Kabuki hotbaths…. I want togo now! It looks beautiful!
- p.r.gebuis says (July 23rd, 2007 at 00:51:17 )
Interesting.So how are you after 13 years back across the big pond. I will be reading your blog with intrest. Drop me a line or so and weÂ´ll catch up on things. I also have skype with cam installed so you could find me there under my name, would be fun to talk to ya.
hope to hear from ya soon,
- Amy says (August 2nd, 2007 at 15:47:08 )
i wanna be just like you,douglas
- douglas says (August 2nd, 2007 at 15:52:03 )
Hi Amy. Nice of you to visit! Who are you?
- Mookee says (August 5th, 2007 at 19:01:13 )
- Jaromir Nerad says (August 12th, 2007 at 13:08:24 )
MY NAME IS JAROMIR NERAD, I WAS BORN IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA IN OSTRAVA; MY FATHER WAS BORN IN A SMALL VILLAGE NAMED NEVCEHLE, WHICH IS CLOSE TO TELC.
YOU WILL FIND MANY PEOPLE THAT ARE BURRIED WITH THE SURNAME OF NERAD IN A VILLAGE NEXT TO NEVCEHLE CALLED URBANOV.
I WAS THERE 5 YEARS AGO AND IS SURE MADE ME FEEL RIGHT AT HOME. I AM 52 YEARS OLD. LOVE J.N.
- Aida says (September 9th, 2007 at 03:52:13 )
I hold you responsible for my love for electronic music. Existentialists would call you ‘significant other’.
- douglas says (September 9th, 2007 at 10:53:50 )
Eh? What? I don’t even listen to electronic music…
- thomas says (January 18th, 2008 at 17:48:02 )
Still waiting to see your Pirate Booty.
- katie says (April 13th, 2008 at 10:23:41 )
i was just scanning through the web and typed in the oreo cookie song and ur page popped up. i thought it was rather funny. well, ill be stopping by quite a while now. okie doke, well see ya!
- Snoop Bloggy Blogg says (April 30th, 2008 at 11:13:38 )
This site ie the Blog-diggity. Like, oh my blog it’s awesome! Canada will not procure as many medals in the Bloglympics this year as the United States of Blogmerica. What the blog is that about?! Blog that!!!!
- Jason says (August 13th, 2008 at 07:36:45 )
I am basically interested for business reasons. I had written to you about the offer a few days back. Perhaps you never got the mail in the first place. Anyhow, here is the deal. I found your site http://www.douglas.nerad.org/ really enchanting and would like to buy a number of text-links on your site.
Let me know if you would like to hear more of this.
- Joyce Bradle says (August 5th, 2011 at 11:53:18 )
Hello, Ive been looking for leads on my great aunt, Josephine Karasek Nerad. She settled in Racine, Wisc. from central NY..Would you have any possible info?? Would love to hear from you..Thanks Joyce
- Rita Fox says (August 28th, 2011 at 16:52:26 )
I am looking for a classmate to notify her of a Southfield High School reunion. Her Name is Susan Ann Haynes Nerad. Do you know her and can you help me get in touch with her. Thank you so very much.
- Monica Biernat says (September 24th, 2011 at 17:11:07 )
My mother is a Nerad. Her parents are Frank and Frances Nerad. My Grandfather came from Czechloslovakia. Are you in any related? and how? Appreciate it. Monica