Archive for March, 2009
They say great minds think alike. This is clearly not the case because there are just too many idiots out there and not nearly enough people with common sense, let alone great minds.4 Comments | Catergorized: thoughts
Battlestar Galactica ended tonight. I really liked the ending. I can’t say they tied up all the questions but still, lovely.
What did you think?2 Comments | Catergorized: geek tv
The United Nations hosted some of the cast and creators or Battlestar Galactica. Cool enough by itself but Edward James Olmos, impassioned by the misuse of the word “race”, got the halls ringing with So Say We All.
At one point the discussion lit a fire under the Admiral, and the talk of human rights turned personal for Edward James Olmos. The “Old Man” launched into a passionate speech about casting off the idea of race as a cultural determinant, and said we were one race, the human race. His voice echoed throughout the chamber growing louder until – I kid you not – he was yelling, “So Say We All,” and the crowd answered right back. Hell, even I yelled it, I was in the fraking United Nations with Adama, the gods themselves could not have stopped this moment.
Video of this event is available from the UN (in RealMedia? Really?), but here’s the So Say We All moment. If anyone finds or converts the whole video shebang into something a little more open please post a link in the comments!
All via Slashdot.2 Comments | Catergorized: geek political tv
Jasper Morello is an animated short about Jasper, a disgraced aerial navigator given a second chance, and how his trip goes awry. Done in a brilliant Victorian-futurist milieu, we follow Jasper as he faces the worst monster of all. Very nicely done, and available on YouTube. If you have 26 minutes, watch and enjoy!Comments Off on Jasper Morello | Catergorized: anime geek
Here’s an idea, free of charge to electronic manufacturers.
With all the technology being crammed into digital cameras, why not make the CCD that takes the picture hot swappable. That way you could have one CCD for normal color pictures. Another for black and white pictures. Others for trippy, hardwired effects or EM spectrum detection like infrared.
I like the idea in particular for black and white. I know I can use applications like Photoshop to dump the color from pictures, but there’s something special about pictures that are shot in black and white, with that lovely contrast and smooth grays that Photoshop usually manages to make artificial every time. Plus there’s the fact that once in Photoshop it is technically a manipulated image.
Anyways, just an idea, free for the taking.Comments Off on Hot Swap CCD | Catergorized: technology thoughts
As the nation climbs towards double digit unemployment I hope my fellow Californians remember that COBRA, a law that helps the unemployed retain their health benefits, is being aided by the recent federal stimulus plan. See this:
My Feb. 26 column said that, thanks to the stimulus act, if you are involuntarily terminated between Sept. 1, 2008 and Dec. 31, 2009, and are eligible for COBRA, the federal government will pay 65 percent of your premium, through your employer, for up to nine months. You pay the other 35 percent.
This is kind of a big deal since with COBRA an individual often had to pay the entire premium, which could be hundreds of dollars a month.2 Comments | Catergorized: life san francisco work
I haven’t been posting much lately. It’s been a rough several weeks partly/greatly because of work. This is life.
California recently hit the 10% unemployment mark. Generally speaking, one in every ten people you see around you has no job. That’s quite a bit of people. Over the winter holidays I was out on the east coast and it was obvious the economy wasn’t doing well out there. Tons of stores were shut down, not nearly as many people were out and about as I was used to, and everyone seemed to be talking about the loss of jobs and the fact that the economy was in the crapper. I came back to San Francisco and looked around and things didn’t seem that bad and I was A) relieved and B) worried it might happen here.
Well, it’s happening. I’ve never seen so many houses for sale in all the time I’ve lived here. They are on the market because folks are either foreclosed or realizing they really can’t afford the mortgage. Stores are starting to shut down, and I’m hearing about more coming. Worst of all is that every company seems to be laying people off. Every day I hear about it from the news and from friends. It’s rough and I wish there was something I could do about it because I have the strong feeling it will get worse before it gets better.Comments Off on California’s 10% Unemployment | Catergorized: friends grrr life san francisco work